How to make the most delicious vegetarian sandwich you will ever have…
About a month ago I visited Outerlands in San Francisco with my friend Lauren and had a delicious almost vegetarian sandwich. I wanted to re-create it home but Nathaniel insisted I stick to our vegetarian Monday-Friday routine.
In doing a version of the Outerlands sandwich I invented one of our favorite healthy meals although today was only the second time I’ve made it.
I will list the steps separately but if you can multi-task with two skillets by all means do it. 8 steps looks like a lot of steps but it’s really not – I was just really detail orientated in how I broke it down.
2 small zucchini
1 small yellow onion
1 granny smith apple
5 oz. shitake mushrooms
4 slices of low fat cheese
2 large slices of sourdough bread from a round loaf (or whatever bread you prefer)
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt and Pepper
***Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Thinly slice one small onion as you melt 1tbsp of butter on a skillet (low heat). Once the butter is melted toss in the onion and stir it every once in a while as you do steps 2-6.
- Slice your zucchini into ¼ inch wide strips or ¼ inch rounds and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with PAM
- Slice an apple into 6 ¼ inch rounds and place on another baking sheet that has also been sprayed with PAM
- Pour about 1 table spoon of olive oil onto a small plate, dip a fork into the oil and use the fork tongs to lightly dot olive oil on top of the apple slices and zucchini.
- Salt and pepper the zucchini before sliding the two trays into the oven. Zucchini and apple can be taken out of the oven when they are easily pierced with a fork (10-15 minutes).
- After you get the zucchini and apples into the oven your onion should be almost done. When the onions have caramelized to your liking place them off to the side in a small bowl.
- Add the shitake mushrooms to the same pan you cooked the onions in and cook on medium-low until soft (5-6 minutes)
- Once the zucchinis, apple, onions and mushrooms are cooked you are ready to layer them on top of your bread with cheese and broil for 10-15 minutes.
From the bottom layer up I constructed them: bread, cheese, apple, onions, mushrooms, zucchini and cheese. Each piece of bread only had 2 slices of low fat cheese on them and as you can see by the photo it was more than enough.
I washed dishes as the cheese melted atop the sandwiches so after dinner we only had two plates to wash.
Total time: 40 minutes and I wasn’t hurrying.
Makes 2 servings. Each Serving: Approx. 400 calories and less than 10g fat.
We paired ours tonight with a salad.